Porto de Galinhas
With the prohibition of the slave trade from the Golden Law (1888), began arriving at the beach, which was then called Porto Beach, ships bringing slaves smuggled in their basements of the African continent, hidden by crates of chickens d’Angola.
On land, crews used a password to publicize the arrival of slaves that would be bought by planters: “There’s chicken in new port”.
The phrase meant that a new shipment of slaves was coming. Thus the place became known as “Porto de Galinhas”.